Philo, a streaming service based in the United States, has grown in popularity among US residents over the years.
There is only one issue. The streaming platform is only available to residents of the United States and is inaccessible to those living outside of the United States.
So, if you’re traveling or living outside the United States, how can you watch Philo?
In this article, I’ll answer that critical question and show you how to unblock Philo outside of the United States.
Make sure you pay close attention to and follow the step-by-step guide further down the article. You’ll have unrestricted access to Philo from anywhere in seconds, avoiding regional restrictions.
Using a VPN, you can watch Philo from anywhere.
Are you new to VPNs and unsure where to begin? Don’t worry, we’ll take you step by step through the process of unblocking Philo. Simply follow the steps below to begin watching your favorite shows in no time.
Here’s how to watch Philo online from outside the United States:
- First, decide which VPN you want to use (we recommend NordVPN)
- Download and install the VPN app on any device you regularly use to stream. Typically, you’ll be able to connect five or so devices at once, but this varies by VPN provider.
- Next, launch your VPN app and choose a server in the United States. If you’re having trouble finding one that works with Philo, those in Los Angeles and New York are usually good bets.
- Once connected, attempt to log into Philo and watch something. If the error persists, clear your browser’s cookies and try again. If that fails, contact your VPN’s customer support team to see if there is a specific server you should be using.
NordVPN is the most popular VPN service in the world. And it’s easy to understand why. It’s a polished app that provides fast connections to a massive network of VPN servers (more on that later).
It’s also the most dependable when it comes to unblocking popular streaming services like US Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, and others. This is due to NordVPN’s hiring of a full-time technical team (charged with monitoring its servers’ connections with popular TV streaming services) and aggressive investment in its network of IP addresses in strategic locations.
Another interesting fact is that NordVPN is a pioneer in the development of Nordlynx technology. Nordlynx is built with WireGuard, a new VPN tunneling protocol that is intended to outperform existing standards (OpenVPN and IPSec). According to NordVPN, the benefits include significantly faster transfer speeds while connected to a VPN. My tests from New Zealand to London confirm that Nordlynx is the fastest VPN on the market right now. However, the difference is minor, only a few Mbps.
Surfshark is our top recommendation for those on a tight budget. Outside of the United States, this provider has no trouble unblocking services like Philo, Sling TV, and YouTube TV—and with unlimited bandwidth, you can stream as much as you want. Surfshark is one of the few providers that allows customers to connect all of their devices at the same time. Furthermore, it performed exceptionally well in our most recent speed tests, averaging over 200 Mbps on a 1 Gbps connection.
Surfshark has mobile apps for Android, iOS, Windows, MacOS, and Linux. You can also manually install it on supported wireless routers if you prefer.
ExpressVPN had the fastest speeds and the most reliable servers of any VPN I tested, so it was my first choice for watching live TV on Philo. Its network easily unblocked Philo, and even in HD, my TV shows and movies never became choppy or paused to buffer. I was never interrupted by a lost VPN connection, so I never had to worry about my streams cutting out in the middle. When I watched a live HD stream of Ace Ventura, Pet Detective on AMC, it felt like I was watching regular TV.
ExpressVPN had some of the fastest servers I’d seen on a VPN when I tested its speeds. I tried servers in the United States (where I live) and was able to unblock Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, HBO MAX, and Amazon Prime Video.
If you’re not sure which server in the United States to use to unblock Philo, ExpressVPN has a speed test tool built in. This displays the download and ping speeds. The term “ping” refers to the amount of time it takes for your device to communicate with the server; a lower number indicates less lag. Simply select “Americas” in the location dropdown after clicking “Speed Test” in the ExpressVPN menu. I found the server with the highest speed and lowest ping in about a minute and got smooth live TV and buffer-free streaming while watching Philo.
Try ExpressVPN’s super-fast servers with Philo if you want the most dependable buffer-free connections for watching your favorite shows. If you experience any lag while watching TV, or simply decide that ExpressVPN isn’t for you, you can easily get your money back with ExpressVPN’s 30-day money-back guarantee. I used ExpressVPN’s 24/7 chat to complete the guaranteed process, and the agent didn’t even ask why I was canceling. She processed my refund, and the money was in my bank account by the end of the week.
CyberGhost is an excellent choice for those looking for a VPN with streaming-optimized servers. It includes a NAT firewall, a kill switch, and other security features, such as DNS and IPv6 leak protection. The software provides satisfying connection speeds thanks to its large network of over 3,000 servers spread across 60 countries. Despite the fact that a one-day trial may not be enough for users to get a true sense of the VPN service, CyberGhost encourages them to try the software risk-free thanks to the company’s lengthy 45-day money-back guarantee.
Methodology: How did we select the best VPNs for Philo?
There are a few things to consider when looking for a VPN to help you watch Philo from abroad. Is it quick enough? Will it be safe enough for you to stream? Is it compatible with all of your devices? To ensure that we only recommend the best of the best, here is a list of non-negotiables:
American servers: There is no way around Philo’s geo-restriction measures without these. The more options there are, the better.
Fast connections: Every VPN slows your connection slightly, but we prioritize those that have the least impact. All of the services listed above can stream live HD video if your internet connection is fast enough.
Potential for streaming: You might want to use other services from home. As a result, our top picks also work with platforms such as Hulu, Sling TV and fuboTV.
Security and privacy tools: You should never have to compromise your security in order to watch TV in another country. We will not recommend a service that does not have at the very least, a kill switch, a no-logs policy, leak protection, and 256-bit encryption. However, we prefer VPNs that provide even more advanced tools.
Reasonable pricing: Expensive VPNs have no place on our list. We compare candidates to similarly priced competitors to ensure that they are truly worth what they charge.
User-friendly apps: We prefer clean, well-organized apps that are simple to use. Even better if a service lowers the barrier to entry even further, such as by eliminating connection limits.
How to Watch Philo Outside the United States on Your Device
Not sure what devices you can use to watch Philo outside of the United States? Outside of the United States, the following devices can be used to watch Philo:
- Amazon Firestick
- Sony SmartTV
- Google Chromecast
- Vizio SmartTV
How Can I View Philo on My iPhone?
“How can I watch Philo shows on my iPhone?” you may be wondering. To watch Philo outside of the United States on your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Choose and sign up for a reputable VPN service. NordVPN is an excellent choice.
- On your device, download and install the VPN app.
- Connect to a server in the United States. We recommend using the server in New York or Los Angeles.
- Go to the Apple Store and change your region to the United States.
- Go to the Apple Store and look for the Philo app; download and install it.
- Launch the app and sign in to watch your favorite Philo TV shows.
How to Stream Philo on Android
If you’re wondering, “How can I watch Philo on Android?” Please read the steps below:
- Sign up for a reputable VPN service. NordVPN is extremely dependable.
- Download the VPN app for your Android device.
- Connect to a server in the United States. The New York server comes highly recommended.
- Navigate to your phone’s settings and clear the cache and data for Google Play. This should change your region to the United States.
- Go to Google Play and search for the Philo app.
- Sign in to watch Philo on your phone.
How to Stream Philo on Roku
Need answers to the question “How can I watch Philo on Roku?” We’ve provided solutions in the steps below:
- Select a reputable VPN and set it up on your Roku router. NordVPN is our recommendation.
- Connect to a server in the United States. Consider using the server in New York.
- Set your Roku account’s region to the United States.
- To install Philo on your Roku, go to the Home Screen app store and search for Philo.
- When you’ve found it, click “Add to Home Screen” to install it.
- Sign in with your credentials to the app.
- You can now watch Philo channels outside of the United States on your Roku.
How to Watch Philo on Firestick
Is Philo available on Firestick? It certainly does. To get Philo on Firestick, follow these steps:
- To begin, set up your Firestick to connect to NordVPN.
- Connect to a US server, preferably one in New York.
- Go to your Firestick’s search bar and type in Philo.
- Tap the “Get” button to download the Philo app to your Firestick.
- Open the app and sign in to watch Philo on Firestick outside of the United States.
Current list of available channels on Philo, USA
- American Heros Channel
- Animal Planet
- BBC America
- BBC World News
- BET Her
- Cleo TV
- Comedy Central
- Cooking Channel
- Destination America
- Discovery Channel
- Discovery Family
- Discovery Life
- DIY Network
- Food Network
- Game Show Network
- Great American Country
- Game Show Network
- Hallmark Channel
- Hallmark Drama
- Hallmark Movies and Mysteries
- History Channel
- Investigation Discovery
- Lifetime Movies
- MTV Classic
- MTV Live
- Nick Jr.
- Paramount Network
- Science Channel
- Sundance TV
- Travel Channel
- TV Land
- WE TV
Whether you want to stay connected to your favorite Philo TV channels while traveling, or you want to stop your ISP from making your TV almost unwatchable, all of these VPNs will assist you. However, keep in mind that if you want the most reliable and possibly fastest connection, NordVPN or SurfsharkVPN are your best bet.