Google Chromecast is a great media gadget that lets you stream movies, TV shows, sports, and music from your devices to your television. However, several popular streaming services place regional limits on specific material, so you won’t be able to fully utilise your Chromecast.
A virtual private network can be used to obtain access to this restricted information. A VPN connection not only gives you access to more online material, but it also ensures that everything you do online, including streaming entertainment, is anonymous and safe.
This post will go through the numerous benefits of utilising your Chromecast in conjunction with a VPN. We’ll also provide a list of the top VPN services for Google Chromecast.
How to Choose The Best Chromecast VPN
Because there are no VPN apps or settings on the Chromecast, when we talk about the best VPN for a Chromecast, we focus on a few other factors.
- Can circumvent geo-restrictions on most streaming sites.
- You have unlimited data, so you can cast for as long as you like.
- Unrestricted bandwidth – Nothing spoils a TV programme like buffering.
- Installability on a router or virtual router
With this in mind, we set about evaluating a variety of VPNs to ensure that they function properly, both for streaming and for use with Chromecast.
Among the various channels that NordVPN may unblock are Netflix US, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Sling TV, and BBC iPlayer. NordVPN’s online knowledge base has a large number of guides for configuring your VPN on nearly every type of supported router. FlashRouters, a NordVPN affiliate, also sells pre-flashed routers that are already set with NordVPN’s servers. Tomato or DD-WRT firmware is often used, which is good but not as quick and straightforward as ExpressVPN’s bespoke firmware.
NordVPN supports an industry-leading six concurrent connections. When combined with the cheap price, it is one of the greatest discounts available, particularly if you share your account with family or flatmates. All of your data is encrypted to military standards, and NordVPN keeps no logs on its customers. Some servers are designed for increased security, stability, and rapid downloads. With over 5,500 servers in 59 countries, getting a fast connection should be easy. The software will even inform you how far away a server is and how much capacity each server currently has.
There are apps for Windows, MacOS, iOS, Linux, and Android.
Chromecast users on a tight budget will enjoy how much money Surfshark maintains in your bank account for games, movies, and other purchases while still securing your internet activity.
Surfshark has a native Android TV app that you may use with your Google Chromecast. It may be found on the Google Play Store.
Apps are also available for iOS, Android, Linux, Windows, macOS (with native M1 Mac compatibility), and Fire TV device platforms, as well as other desktop and mobile platforms. The router features of the service can safeguard all of your connected devices with a single access point.
The firm also provides a Smart DNS service, which unblocks material for gaming consoles, streaming devices, and Smart TVs that cannot utilise the VPN service. However, unlike Surfshark’s VPN service, the Smart DNS service does not secure your connection.
Surfshark’s limitless simultaneous connections allow you to safeguard your entire family or business at the same time.
Surfshark’s global server network contains over 3,200 servers in 64+ countries, offering full unblocking capabilities for geo-restricted material worldwide. According to the company, it unblocks 30+ Netflix libraries worldwide.
The connection speeds provided by this service are ideal for streaming HD and 4K video, playing online games, and engaging in any other online activity. There are no data constraints or bandwidth limitations to interfere with your experience.
All Surfshark connections are safeguarded by banking-grade encryption, a kill switch, and DNS leak protection. You may also disable ads and trackers, as well as defend against malware and phishing. A MultiHop function encrypts and anonymizes your internet data by routing it across two VPN servers.
Your privacy is protected by the provider’s rigorous no-logs policy, as well as the provider’s acceptance of bitcoin as payment for their services.
Help is available whenever you need it, thanks to a 24/7 support chat, a searchable support library, a FAQ section, and a support request form.
This data is only used for diagnostic purposes and is not shared with other parties. Additional anonymous programme diagnostics, such as crash reports, usability diagnostics, and VPN connection diagnostics, can be shared by users. This contains statistics on unsuccessful connection attempts as well as speed test results.
Private Internet Access
One of the best Chromecast VPNs for Netflix is Private Internet Access (PIA).
It includes native VPN applications for Android and iOS, manual OpenVPN configuration files, and compatibility for all major web browsers.
You may use PIA to unblock Netflix US, bypass geoblocking, beat internet restriction, and safeguard your home devices from hackers. It is also one of the most effective VPNs for Windows 7, 10, and 11.
You may also temporarily disable VPN encryption to speed up your connection. It includes dedicated DNS servers, port forwarding, and split tunnelling.
Furthermore, PIA is one of the few virtual private network providers that offers live chat help 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
CyberGhost VPN is an excellent VPN service for newcomers. The programme is simple to use, but it also has the privacy and security protections you need to protect your digital privacy. CyberGhost uses strong OpenVPN encryption, which ensures that your data is always safe. It also has a zero-logs policy, which means that no one can ever find out what you do online or what you choose to cast.
You receive VPN applications for all platforms with CyberGhost, so you may use it to Chromecast from any device. This VPN is also recognised for unblocking Netflix US, BBC iPlayer, and other popular streaming services from across the world. This VPN is also quite fast, so you will have no difficulty casting HD material to your TV. Finally, we like that this VPN offers live chat assistance and a 45-day money-back guarantee on subscription plans longer than one month. Overall, it’s a fantastic VPN, and one of the best for casting.
How to Connect to Chromecast Using a VPN on a Virtual Router
Don’t be concerned if your router is incompatible with your selected VPN or if the configuration is simply too complicated. A virtual router VPN connection may be established using your PC or Mac.
Before you begin, you must sign up for a VPN and download the programme on your device.
Launch the VPN and connect to your preferred server, then follow the instructions for your device below.
Using your PC to set up a virtual router
- Press Windows + S to open the search bar on your computer.
- Open Command Prompt by typing cmd. Select Run as administrator from the context menu when you right-click on Command Prompt.
- Fill in the blanks: set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=NETWORKNAME key=PASSWORD netsh wlan
- To name your virtual router, provide the following values: – ssid=[Enter the name of your network] – key=[Enter your network password]
- Hit the Enter key.
- The following notice should now appear: – Allow has been specified as the hosted network mode. – The hosted network’s SSID has been successfully modified. – The hosted network’s user key pass has been successfully modified.
- In the command prompt, enter the following: – netsh wlan hostednetwork start
- Hit the Enter key.
- The following notice should now appear: “The hosted network has begun.”
- From the bottom right corner of your screen, right-click the wifi symbol and select Open Network and Sharing Center.
- Select Change adapter settings.
- Right-click on the newly formed VPN connection and choose Properties.
- Navigate to the Sharing tab. – Select “Allow Other Network Users to Connect Using This Computer’s Internet Connection.” – Select “Allow other network users to control or disable the shared Internet connection.” – Select the newly formed connection under Home Network Connection.
- Press the OK button.
- Launch the Chromecast app and follow the setup instructions on the screen.
- When you get to the page that says, “Connect Chromecast to your wifi,” choose the virtual router you built.
- Enter your virtual router’s password, then click Set Network.
- You are now connected to your VPN-enabled virtual router and ready to explore a plethora of new stuff.
Setting up a Mac virtual router connection
- On your Mac, go to the System Preferences menu and select Sharing.
- Select Internet Sharing from the left panel of the Sharing menu. On the right side of the screen, the Internet Sharing choices will display. Enter the following parameters: – Share your connection from: [the newly formed L2TP VPN connection] – To machines that use Wi-Fi, tick the box.
- Choose Wi-Fi Options and provide the following information: – Network Name: [Enter a network name here] – Channel: [Leave as is] – WPA2 Personal Security – Password: [enter your password] – Confirm: [retype your password]
- Press the OK button.
- On the Sharing menu, select Internet Sharing and tick the box next to it. A popup will appear asking you to enable internet sharing.
- Press the Start button.
- When Internet Sharing is enabled, a green light appears next to the text: Internet Sharing: Enabled.
- Launch the Chromecast app and follow the on-screen setup steps.
- When you get to the box that says “Connect Chromecast to your wifi,” choose the virtual router you created.
- Enter your virtual router’s password, then click Set Network.
- You are now connected to your VPN-enabled virtual router and can enjoy a much larger range of streaming entertainment with your Chromecast device.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the most frequently asked questions about utilising VPNs with Chromecast. If you have any further queries, please leave them in the comments section.
Is it possible to use Chromecast with free VPNs?
Although there are free VPNs accessible, we do not advocate using them with Chromecast. Free VPNs often do not operate with routers, have sluggish connections, and do not unblock streaming websites. Furthermore, they limit the amount of data you may use, lack critical security and privacy features, and have buggy programmes.
Instead, we propose investing in a low-cost commercial VPN. In our opinion, NordVPN is the best VPN since it works on routers, has amazing streaming capabilities, and has very fast speeds.
Can I use a VPN with Chromecast?
No, you cannot install a VPN on Chromecast since the gadget lacks native support for VPN programmes. Instead, you’ll need to configure the VPN on your router. As a result, all Chromecast connections that connect to the internet via the router will automatically use a VPN connection.
If you can’t set up the VPN on your actual router, you may make a virtual router VPN connection on your PC or Mac.
Is there a VPN for Chromecast?
No, Chromecast does not include a VPN. It also does not support VPN applications natively, thus you cannot download and install one on it. Instead, you must configure the VPN on your router, and Chromecast will utilise it whenever it connects to the internet.
Does Chromecast Disallow VPNs?
No, VPNs are not blocked by Chromecast, but they are also not supported. As a result, you won’t be able to install a VPN software directly on your Chromecast device. Instead, you must configure a VPN on your network. When Chromecast connects to the router, it will use the VPN connection.
Is a VPN required for Chromecast?
If you want to access geo-blocked material on your favourite streaming sites, you must utilise a Chromecast VPN. A VPN masks your IP address, preventing websites from seeing your true location. So, if you’re in the UK and connect to a VPN server in the US, you’ll be able to stream US titles on Netflix and Amazon Prime.
Furthermore, if you use a VPN on Chromecast, your internet traffic will be encrypted. This improves security and privacy. Furthermore, because your ISP cannot observe your traffic, it cannot selectively cut down your streaming rates when you consume an excessive amount of data.
Is it possible to use Chromecast with Google TV VPN?
Yes, you may download and install a VPN programme if you acquire the new Chromecast that comes with Google TV. This is due to the fact that Google TV is built on Android TV, which enables VPN applications. You will have access to the Google Play Store, where you will be able to locate top VPN service apps.
In our opinion, NordVPN is the finest option, but you can also read our guide to the top Android TV VPNs to choose the ideal service for you.
Can I use Chromecast while connected to a VPN to stream a tab or desktop?
Yes, you may utilise a Chromecast VPN in this manner. It’s a simple solution, but it’s inefficient: you mirror it from your computer, which results in lower-quality streams.
Also, bear the following in mind if you want to do so:
- If you use Netflix, you must select the Cast Desktop option. When you utilise the Cast Tab option, it will launch the Netflix app instead of mirroring your tab.
- Before connecting to the VPN, you must Cast Tab or Cast Desktop. If you do it later, the VPN will be on a different network and your computer will be unable to recognise the Chromecast device.